Do I need a license to be a Mortgage Loan Officer?

Yes, all states require individuals working as mortgage loan originators or in similar roles to obtain an MLO license, unless they are working for a federally insured depository institution. Mortgage loan officer training is imperative in obtaining an NMLS license. Roles in the mortgage industry that require an MLO license include loan originators, loan officers, independent contractor loan processors, independent contractor underwriters, and mortgage brokers. Research NMLS licenses and your state's requirements and application process, or contact RealEstateU with questions.

Related FAQs