What licenses are needed to start a mortgage brokerage business in New York?

Some jurisdictions in NY require general licenses for any business operating there. To get a license, register your business with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance and obtain a Certificate of Authority.

Starting an independent mortgage brokerage business in New York will require that you complete the process of obtaining a NY Mortgage Broker Registration for your company or yourself as a broker, and a Mortgage Loan Originator License which authorizes you to engage in mortgage loan origination activities.

Related FAQs