Who is required to get a Mortgage Loan Originator License in New York?

If you act as a mortgage loan originator for pay or other compensation on behalf of a non-depository lender offering residential mortgage loans secured by real estate located in the state of New York, you are required to obtain a New York Mortgage Loan Origination (MLO) license. Acting as a mortgage loan originator means taking residential mortgage loan applications and/or negotiating the terms of residential mortgage loans.

Independent Contractor mortgage loan processors and mortgage loan underwriters are also required to obtain this license.

Related FAQs